Are you someone who sits at their desk most of the day? Do you find that you rarely get up or move around unless it’s to grab another cup of coffee? Today, we are more sedentary than ever before. Unfortunately, our desks also lead to poor posture, which can cause everything from migraines and tension headaches to back pain and neck stiffness. Fortunately, an osteopath can help correct your posture so you feel and function at your best.
Why is good posture important?
Good posture means that your body is in proper alignment at all times, whether you are sitting, standing, or in motion. By maintaining proper posture you are keeping everything from the spine to the ligaments, tendons, and muscles in ideal alignment. Good posture can:
- Prevent back and neck pain
- Maintain good digestion
- Improve joint and muscle function
- Reduce wear and tear on joints
- Boost mood
- Maintain a healthy spine
- Prevent tension headaches
Through good posture, you can prevent everything from strains to disc degeneration, osteoarthritis, and even compressed nerves.
How can I improve my posture?
You can work with an osteopath to pinpoint problem areas, improve workplace ergonomics, and improve your posture and health. Of course, there are steps you can start taking even today to actively improve your posture. These include:
- Straightening up when you find yourself slouching over
- Stretching your neck throughout the day, especially if you’re tilting your head down a lot to look at a computer or to check your phone
- Avoiding heels (they should only be used for special occasions)
- Make sure your mattress is firm enough and that you have the ideal pillow to support you while you sleep (ask your osteopath about proper sleep positions based on whether you’re a side or back sleeper)
- Getting regular exercise to strengthen your core and muscles to improve spinal health
- Getting up and moving regularly, taking frequent breaks to stretch and get the blood flowing while working
- Using standing desks or ergonomic desk chairs designed to improve posture
An osteopath can provide you with helpful strategies, exercises, and comprehensive adjustments to improve how the body functions as a whole. To correct poor posture and improve spinal health, call your osteopath today for a consultation.